Only two and a half hours from Auckland is one of the country’s most amazing half day hikes.
The Mount Terawera Walk is truly an amazing walking experience. Departing from DOC’s Te Wairoa Carpark this trail includes spectacular vistas of Lake and Mount Tarawera whilst walking a well-defined path that weaves its way through regenerating native forest and pristine Tarawera foreshore before ultimately concluding at Hot Water Beach. The views all throughout
this hike are as varied as they are stunning and quite unlike any other parts of New Zealand, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy rest breaks in mostly secluded locations and the well-formed track includes several amenity areas along the way.
Arriving at Hot Water Beach for most of the year you will find yourself in relative seclusion, here break for a picnic lunch and enjoy the opportunity of a warm soak in natural geothermal lake edge springs or a refreshing lake swim before your return flight home.
Departing Hot Water Beach by Float Plane is an amazing experience and the return flight back to Rotorua includes spectacular aerial views of the Rotorua crater lakes, Mokoia Island, Sulphur bay and Rotorua City.
Cost: ADULT $275 – Minimum age is 8 years
Duration: Allow Full Day
Location: All tours depart from the Lakefront Drive, Rotorua City Lakefront
Requirements: This tour operates with a minimum of 2 fares.
Safety: A full safety briefing will be provided at the Volcanic Air Base. All passengers will be required to be weighted in order to ensure proper weight distribution in the aircraft.
• Vehicle transfer from Volcanic Airs Rotorua City Lakefront office to the start of the Tarawera Trail.
• Floatplane Transfer from Hot Water Beach back to the Rotorua City.
• Lakefront via the Rotorua crater lakes, Rotorua City and Sulphur point.
• Extended flight, including Waimangu Thermal Valley and Mount Tarawera (additional 20min flight time) $245pp
• Lunch box including beverage (non alcoholic) $35pp
• Gourmet picnic lunch (including NZ bottle of wine) $95pp
• Hiking guide , POA